Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Why do you do what you do?

Why do you do what you do?

Ever give that question much thought?

My recent shift in my career focus brought this question to the surface many times.
It's crazy that since I quit my job to focus more on our business and caring for my father, I seem to be busier than ever. A friend was concerned that I might be trying to do too much.

I have to admit though, I feel like I am really doing something that matters here. I am helping people through some of the hardest times in their lives. And in return, I feel better than I have felt in years.
Tomorrow, I'll post an article containing interviews with a few funeral directors that really tells the story of why we do, what we do.

For years, I was trying to pay the bills and keep my head above water in the sea of life. It's been a courageous move leaving a secure job for an unsure life. But it has made all the difference in the world for me. I've preached for years that we need to follow our dreams, find our purpose, and walk the path less traveled. And I've tried to do just that, but still holding on to the safety line. For once, I have closed my eyes, let go and am loving every second of it. At the same time, I am sustaining the dream that my husband had for this business. I don't know what the future holds, but something tells me that it's going to be wonderful.

Won't you join me on my adventure by setting out on your own adventure?
What are your dreams?
Why do you do what you do?
Is it what you love to do?




8 comments:

Mark said...

Good for you! Yes, it's very important that you love what you do. It makes for a much happier life. And when you love what you do, it doesn't seem like work at all.
Do I love what I do? No. But, it has gotten me to this point and I'm so happy being here.
Your Friend, m.

MorningAJ said...

Totally with you on this one.

I'm a writer. It's not what I do, it's who I am. I write stuff for people who need me to express their views on their behalf. I've never worked for any company/employer who I felt wasn't giving people a fair deal and as soon as I think the emphasis has changed to 'money first, ethics later' I look for a new post.

It's not always easy and I'm facing old age with not a lot of cash in the bank - but at least I don't feel like I've wasted my time and I can be proud of a lot of what I've done in my life.

Unknown said...

The important thing is that you love where you are. Obviously your job enables you to do what you love. It can work that way too.

Unknown said...

It's rare to have a job that let's you shine as yourself. Money in the bank has nothing on a status like that. As I listen to stories at each service, it's never the money that's talked about but more of what you did in your life.

John Going Gently said...

seven years ago I was a senior nurse with a staff of 50
I worked 50-60 hour weeks
I got all the shit from either sides of the workforce

now I am a junior nurse working 11 hours a week
with 90 animals and no money

go figure!

Jim said...

I was a teacher of 'special needs' kids for 28 years. I loved working with the individual students but I knew in my 2nd. year that teaching in 'the system' was not a good fit for me. I left twice and tried other things always getting back into the system to pay the bills.
In spite of all that it brought me to where I am today and I have no regrets at all because I met a few great people along the way.
At this stage in our lives, Ron and I have set out on an adventure.....this 'retirement of sorts' is new and each day is different.

Ms Sparrow said...

I never found a career that gave me any sense of accomplishment. Now that I'm retired, I can write my blog and do all the things that make life worthwhile. I live from one SS check to the next, but my life is much richer!

Unknown said...

Careers are great. If you find one that you love, it's a bonus. But your job does not define you. It's not who you are or what you do. Sometimes we need to find the balance between work and our real lives. That is what you do.