Friday, April 5, 2013

Sunrise

For years, I have been trying to figure out the thought process behind the design layout of the road system in the metropolitan Detroit area. For the out-of-towner, the roads are labeled in numerical order by mile, running East and West. Just to confuse everyone, some cities rename the road with a name of someone of historical importance, that used to live there a long time ago. For instance, I live near 21 Mile Road. A mile North of me is 22 Mile Road. But a mile South, you will not find 20 Mile Road. Instead, you will find M-59 or Rosso Hwy or Hall Rd. or Highland Rd. depending on what city you are in. Sometimes due to rivers or whatever, the road is discontinued for a while only to show up again with a different name. You constantly have to translate what road it is to give directions.

But that's not the worst part.
The worst part is that all these Mile Roads run straight East and West. Therefor, at sunrise and sunset every day. this is what you see as you drive along the road. With other cars turning on and off the road as well as signal lights at the intersections, sunrise in the morning heading East and sunset in the evening heading West can be a challenge.

All week long has been busy with funerals in the morning. And everyday this week, this is what I have been faced with to get to my garage and then off to the job. And for the record, as you can see in the picture, there is a turn lane approaching on the right. That also indicates there is a busy intersection directly ahead of me and yes, the light is red.

My regular readers know that I love a sunrise in the morning. It brings with it infinite possibilities. But mostly, this brings with it the possibility of disaster.

2 comments:

MorningAJ said...

Some years ago I swore I'd never work east of my home again because I had to face something similar every day. Didn't work though. I still do!

Fingers crossed for your safe journey(s).

Jim said...

I guess ideally we could be looking for a north south location in which to live and drive to and from home and work. I travelled for 5 years in an easterly direction early in the morning Stew....so I appreciate what you are saying here.