Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Mardi Gras at Christmas

I've discovered the real Fat Tuesday.

The truth is, I am not a fan of Christmas.

First, although raised in a very Christian home, I find myself to not be tied to any religion at this time. I am more open minded and curious than what is typically accepted in the pews of the churches that surround my work life.

Second, I worked for 25 years in some sort of retail capacity and am appalled at what I see happening out there. A season of Tidings of Good Cheer has been claimed by greed and unrealistic expectations.

In recent years, the only holiday celebrating that I've done was only to appease those around me. As with most of my life, I was doing what was expected of me and never once did anyone ask what I would like. With the death of my parents, I have released those expectations.

Fortunately, I do have my loving husband by my side. And he's always tried to decipher what it is that I want. And even more fortunate is that we agree for the most part. All we want is to be able to make our own traditions. Not expectations handed down through the generations, but truly our own traditions based on our own lives and beliefs.

After our two visits to New Orleans in recent years, we've fallen in love with the energy that keeps that city alive. We find that much of the spirit that is alive and well in New Orleans is very much alive in ourselves.
So we couldn't think of a better theme to decorate our home with for the holidays. Right down to a Voodoo doll hanging on our tree.
Yes, we do have a tree.
It is not a place for Santa to place gifts.
It is not a representation of everlasting life in our home.
It is a welcoming beacon for friends and neighbors to stop by anytime and enjoy some holiday cheer.

Our indoor dining garden faces the street with it's many windows.
It's a place where we can sit sipping coffee and watch the neighborhood come to life each morning.
A place where it's always warm and inviting for friends to stop by.

We enjoy decorating our home in Mardi Gras colors and celebrating long into the winter months.
So stop on by. The door is always open.
And Pugsley only sounds like he'll take your leg off at first.
Really he's only happy to see you and that's just how he shows it.





7 comments:

Jim said...

Looks SO inviting Stew!! And a good philosophy you guys have.....welcoming friends and neighbours.
Those Mardi-Gras beads look great on the tree.

A few years ago we decided to set our own traditions for this time of year and it has worked out well.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i just LOVE your tree. i think i lived in NO in a previous life. i feel so connected to that whole area. it has a vitality unlike anywhere else.

betty said...

Tree looks great Stew! I like the theme! I used to love Christmas when the kids were younger, et al, but Christmas sort of died for me back in 2006 when my mom died 12 days before it. Since then its been a struggle to get motivated to do anything for it. Thankfully my hubby goes with the flow too, so to speak (which I guess could also be due to the fact that his dad died in 2011 9 days before Christmas). December's been a hard month for us in many ways for many a year. Son has been really good about putting the artificial tree up (though this year it still sits in the box in the den, LOL).

I think it is good that you and yours are making your own traditions that you can always tweak to suit you both the best!

betty

MorningAJ said...

I love the idea of voodoo christmas. We have a witch on our tree - rather than an angel. So your voodoo doll would fit in well with our decor. Happy holidays. And here's to new traditions.

Ms Misantropia said...

OMG - I love your tree and decor!
That mask with devil's horns on top is just the greatest.
I might have to steal some of your ideas for my tree next year.

fromsophiesview said...

Merry♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸✰¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ Christmas♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸✰¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪Merry ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸✰¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪Christmas ☆☆☆And¸¸✰¸¸ a ¸¸✰¸¸Happy ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸✰¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪New¸¸✰¸¸ Year

Jenny Woolf said...

Your tree looks wild and lovely and unusual. I'd be in to share some Christmas cheer if I lived near you!