Saturday, March 27, 2010

Friends and Family

Yesterday we burried a man in his 80's. I love it when I ask people as they arrive "Are you family or friend?" and they answer "Good friend". To me, they should go at the front of the procession. Family is arranged for you. Friends stand by your side because they want to. And if you are really lucky in life, the two are the same.

This gentleman was one of those. He was the kind of person that anyone could go to with thier problems and he would always have some possitive advice for them. This is something that I try to live myself. To hear his twenty-something grandson stand up and talk about how his grand father was his best friend and that he will miss him dearly just brings tears to your eyes.
There had to be 20 cars in the procession that were friends. Usually when someone reaches thier 80's, there are not a lot of friends left. This man had many. All ages and races.

I wish there were more like what they were describing of this man. According to his best-friend-grandson, he truley loved life and people.

I think it is safe to say that this man's memory will live for a long time. I hope that his legacy will as well.

1 comment:

AJ-OAKS said...

Hi. I just came over from Sophie's blog. Have been reading through your posts and this one I found to be wonderful. Loved what you said about friends. Family is obligated to show up where as friends are there for you no matter what.