Monday, November 10, 2014

Letting Go

A double booking with back to back funerals in neighboring towns kept me out much later than my regular time. When I finished up at the second cemetery and headed back to the garage. The sun was setting the windswept clouds on fire with color. The sky was ablaze with deep and light blues, yellow, green, orange and even red, casting amazing colors across the fields with drying corn waiting to be harvested.

As I drove, I reflected on the families that we serviced today. Both families were filled with very nice people.
I thought about how I used to write here about the strange happenings at some of the funerals. I don't know if there are just super nice people out there now or I have become accustom to the chaos. I know that people react to however they are treated. And I have started to treat everyone that pulls into my parking lots as though they are my best friend that I haven't seen in a long time. That doesn't change the family dynamics that go on inside, but at least in my parking lot, everyone feels welcome.

I managed to juggle keeping everyone well organized and still take all the incoming orders for future funerals. You see, while the directors have enough to worry about with all that they do, when they call me, they just want to place an order and be done with it. They have more calls to make and things to organize because it takes a lot of people to come together to make what we do happen. So I take the orders and figure out later how I am going to make it all happen. It was only Monday and already I have nine funerals booked for the week. And I am ready for whatever the rest of the week might through at me. I've got a trusted staff and directors that love me and my staff. As I proclaim on my company website, I am there to make a great first impression for the funeral home that I am representing.
Today's weather was a delight, especially when I consider what the rest of the week has in store for me. Temperatures are expected to plummet and be accompanied by rain and snow. I have to admit that I do not enjoy the change in seasons when faced with winter. Here in Michigan it can be very harsh. I work outdoors. I am expected to present myself in a professional manner. The vehicles are expected to be clean for every family, without exception. But weather has a way of letting us know that we don't control everything. That sometimes you have to let something go.

Working in the business that I do, you would think that I would know that. I've had so many personal losses in the last few years, I can only guess at what will be next. Will it be the love of my life ( my 13 year old Tibetan Spaniel, Pugsley)? Will it be my 95 year old father-in-law? Life has a way of keeping us on our toes. Keeping us guessing. I arrived home this evening with the news that my brother has suffered a heart attack today. His daughter and my sister have traveled the three hours to be by his side. The rest of us, await word of his condition. With a full schedule ahead of me this week, I think it is best if I let my niece handle things the best she can. And I hope that she knows that she has the support of a large loving family, even though we don't always get along with each other.

I guess mother nature and father time have just reminded me once again how valuable life is. That we need to appreciate what we have, while we have it. Hold on to the good memories and let go of the petty things.

I hope that all my readers are finding themselves loved today regardless of any other issues.
Love really is what makes the world go around.
And we need to enjoy life while we are still on the Brighter Side of the Grave. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've just received word that a catherization has revealed substantial blockages.
My brother is currently in ICU and more of his family is on their way there now.

MorningAJ said...

Love and positive vibes to your brother. I hope they can sort out whatever they find and have him on the road to recovery real soon. Hugs.