Sunday, April 18, 2010

Michigan joins the hear and now

On May 1, 2010, Michigan will join 30 some other states and Ontario, Canada in banning smoking from all public buildings. This includes all restaurants and bars. Yesterday, I was traveling back from Northern Michigan and found myself hungry. I found a cute little family place called Mama's cafe. I thought it would be a great place to find a good home-style cooked meal. So I pulled in and found a spot to park. As I approached the doors, I noticed a paper on the door indicating the impending law coming soon. As I pulled the door open, I realized that the future was not a welcome thing at this family establishment. As I found a place to sit, I noticed that every single person in there was smoking. Some had a fork in one hand and cigarette in the other. Get it while you can I suppose. Before the waitress could even find her way to us, I had decided that I had had enough. I quickly made made way to the door.

A ways down the road, I found a Big Boy. Not thrilled will that choice, I pulled in. I have never liked Big Boy because you have to walk through the smoking section to get to the non-smoking section that is always in the corner by the restrooms. Much to my surprise, as we walked in the door, the lady asked how many and took us to a table. That was it. No question of smoking or non?. And I realized that this was the first Big Boy that I've ever been in that was completely non-smoking. For the first time in my history, I was able to enjoy a meal at a restaurant without smoke pouring over and ruining my meal.

I can't describe how pleased I was. I am allergic to the smoke and get instant headaches that don't go away for hours. And that's if I'm able to wash and change clothes that it will go away at all. I for one can not wait for May 1st. I am going to go out to bars and restaurants more than ever. I used to only ever go under protest and never enjoyed myself.

I can't wait! Thank you Michigan!

1 comment:

Jim said...

Yeah for Michigan!!!!! The province I live in,Nova Scotia, also banned smoking in public places as well as bars and restaurants. You are going to love it!!