Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Do something nice for yourself

How often do we stay at home because we just don't have the money to go out or don't feel like dealing with everything out there ?

Every Saturday, I take my parents their medications for the week. I really did not feel like going this week. I was tired and just wanted to rest. But, they need what they need, so like the good son that I am, I sorted them all out and drove the 5 miles to their lakeside home.
After spending some quality time with them, I decided I was feeling a little better and walked across the street to the shopping center that is there. The clearance rack seemed to jump out at me and I found the kewlest shirt on sale for 80% off! It was $2.97 + tax. Now, who could pass up a nice shirt for 2.97? Feeling good about my purchase, I strolled through the rest of the shopping center and ran into a friend. We sat and had a wonderful cup of white chocolate mint coffee and talked for what must have been an hour.


There I was, feeling tired and not wanting to do anything. A simple choice of not listening to that little voice in my head that said to shuck my responsibilities, turned out to bring me a wonderful evening. So on this strangely warm autumn day here in Michigan I offer you a little advise, if you'll have it....

Buy something nice for yourself. Show it off. Be proud. Love your taste. Love yourself. Spin some secrets, tell a few. Stay out too late every so often and sleep in too long. Play loud music. Make a few mistakes. Celebrate everything. And when no one is looking, kiss the back of each of your hands in quick succession... Mwah! Mwah!

You are worth it. There isn't a moment in any day, when someone, somewhere, isn't better off because of something you've done.


And no matter what you do, or don't do, with the rest of your life, you cannot now comprehend the amounts of love, joy, and personal assistance that are already being pressed out to you in gratitude.

Kiss! Kiss!

2 comments:

Jim said...

Stew, good post man! Being just human can be so difficult at times....accepting our faults and weaknesses but not letting them take over.
Glad you DID see your parents. It's those simple gestures that make all the difference between a 'good' day and a 'bad' day.
Today I bring a meal to my Dad. Sometimes I don't feel like it but I always feel better after I do.
Jim

AJ-OAKS said...

Funny how when we just don't feel like doing something, and we do it anyway, how it all works out and that we are happy we did. You are a good person. xoxo