Thursday, October 28, 2010

Tasting Life

Before the young man began his studies, he wanted assurance from the Master.

"Can you teach me the goal of human life?"

"I cannot," replied the Master.

"Or at least its meaning?"

"I cannot."

"Can you indicate to me the nature of death and of life beyond the grave?"

"I cannot."

The young man walked away in scorn. The disciples were dismayed that their Master had been shown up in a poor light.

Said the Master soothingly, "Of what is it to comprehend life's nature and life's meaning if you have never tasted it? I'd rather you ate your pudding than speculated on it."




.....Anthony De Mello, 1931-1987, was a Jesuit priest and psychotherapist who became widely known for his books on spirituality.

Sometimes we get so caught up in the hows and whys that we forget to just enjoy ourselves.

This weekend, a friend is entering a drag pageant. I will get out there and taste this thing called life (and maybe a cocktail) and be at the show, cheering him on. What will you do to taste life this weekend?

3 comments:

John Going Gently said...

my brother in law and family is visiting for the first time in 10 years

no pressure there then

Jim said...

I will let it unfold as it does. Actually, we are meeting friends in the neighbouring province of New Brunswick...to 'catch up'.Hope they bring their daughter, she is a delight! Have fun at the drag show Stew. It's been a while for me...attending that is. I'd make one pretty homely woman!!!lol
Jim

Unknown said...

Most of them do, Jim. Most of them do. Hope everything goes well for all.

Wow John, that does sound like a little pressure. Good luck!