Friday, December 24, 2010

Don't forget to live

Everyone dies. But not everyone lives.

I heard this a couple of weeks ago and thought it especially good for this season. Working my second job, I see a lot of people running around doing the Christmas shopping thing. They are all in such a hurry. They have their list and their budget and a time slot to get it all done in. They need to make sure that everything is just perfect. The decorations have to be right. The food has to be right. The family has to be there.

I see them all rushing so they can have the perfect Christmas. What I don't see, is them enjoying the holiday. In my house, we have made a pact to keep it simple. We buy for those that we want to buy for and we go to the houses that we want to go to. We enjoy visiting with friends and family, we just don't see the need to do it on a particular day at a certain time. We'd rather visit when it's best for everyone. Even if that means sometime in January. Winter is long and cold in Michigan.So we like to spread everything out a little. Our visits are more personal and meaningful than the 28 person dinners of old. There's no pressure to buy gifts for people that you barely know or have a huge meal ready at a particular time. It's a more relaxed take on the holiday, we know. But, we enjoy every minute of it.
Do you live your life? Or do you rush through trying to get everything done? In the end, will they remember that you had everything on the table at 3pm and there was 14 people present? Life is short, live it to the fullest. Let your legacy be that of someone that everyone loved to spend time with, because time spent with you is always the best way to spend life.

Thank you to everyone that has visited the Brighter Side this year and have a great Christmas season.


I'm looking forward to sharing more stories with you next year.

3 comments:

AJ-OAKS said...

Stew, you are so incredibly wise.
You hit the nail right smack on the head.
For several years I have watched people in the stores mumbling and grumbling about the cost and time spent on Christmas. I suppose most are programmed that that is what is to be done on the holiday.
Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas.
And I am very much looking forward to lots and lots more stories from you.
Hugs.

Jim said...

Yes Stew, you are a very wise man. So true about keeping ones life simple and with more quality. We have really simplified this the past couple of years and are more relaxed and look forward to the people we visit or visit us and their company a lot more.
Have a great Christmas Stew.
Jim

fromsophiesview said...

I tried to relax yesterday but my cousin Fenway arrived and proceeded to stuff my NEW toy down my throat...what was I to do....yep I joined in! OH, BTW, I agree small doses is all I can handle...see someone every other day or something unless the weather gets crappy then stay home!