Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A tree, on guard.

A tree stand guard of our shoreline. Protecting us from
that impending Canadian invasion.
Let me apologize again for my absence. This time, it was not my fault. My Internet provider decided that they didn't want to provide me with Internet. So, I've made the move to something better. Sometimes we need a push to make a move. I always welcome change so I send out a big thank you to Comcast for having lousy service.

Today was one of those days when you just need a break. So after doing my chores, I headed for the beach. It's neer 30 degrees Fahrenheit out there (the warmest it's been in a long time and we're headed for the deep freeze for the next week or so) So it made for perfect beach weather. For January anyway. Our lakes here in Michigan remind many people of oceans because they are so large that you can't see the other side. But we don't have the surf that oceans do so they tend to freeze. There is a lot of motion out there though so the ice then cracks and breaks up.
 Once the ice starts to move, the current carries it to where the next river starts. These rivers join all the Great Lakes together. We happen to live near where Lake Huron ends and the St. Clair River begins. The ice tends to bottleneck at these narrow spots. This causes a dam effect. Since freighters are constantly traversing our waters, the ice cutters are up and down the river constantly all winter long to keep things moving.
Yeah Canada, We have a whole army of trees.
 The beach was quiet today. Just me and the trees enjoying the weather together. It really allows you to think. A mile inland, it was quite sunny. But Lake Huron tends to kick up some strange stuff and dump it on our good friends on the other side of the boarder. This always looks very dramatic from this side.
 Here's a spot of beach just a mile up from the park where a friend lives on the water. From here you can really see the way the weather works over the lake.
 A mile down the other way from the park is where the river starts. The Blue Water Bridges span the entrance of the river. Beyond to the North is the lake and to the South is the narrow river. This is a beautiful spot to sit and watch the freighters go by and disappear into the vast lake or to appear out of the fog to navigate the narrow stretch between the US and Canada. At night the bridges are lit up with blue lights creating an arch over our fair cities on both sides.
 Port Huron was the childhood home of Thomas Edison and the train station where he worked as a child remains nestled under the bridges.
So far they are doing a pretty good job of keeping the ice from damming up the river this year. And the smooth water always makes for a beautiful picture of the bridges.
                                                      
When I got home, I heard quite a ruckus coming from the bushes next to the house. My husband feeds the little birds all year and thus we have quite the following of fowl. I found this bold hawk trying to rustle up some dinner. He wasn't afraid of me and I (foolishly) wasn't afraid of him either. I got in one good whack with the snow shovel before he headed off to a nearby tall tree. I'll have to be mindful of his presence when I let Pugsley out in the yard for a few days. This things was well over a foot tall and had a huge wingspan. It was while I was chasing it away that I realized that I was battling a wild animal and probably should let him do his thing. Oh well. So far everyone is still alive.

Thanks for reading my ramblings today. Keep warm.

5 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I'm glad you switched your service and now we get to enjoy your beautiful snow pictures !
Yes, be careful of the hawk with Pugsley, they can become extremely bold if they are hungry.
Stay warm, !
Jo

Jim said...

Excusez moi! Invasion by Canadians!? Good thing there is a SOLID border between us! lol

Stew, great photos! I always learn something from your posts. I have no idea what it is like to live near such a huge lake which looks like an ocean! Probably much the same as we have it here. I would love to wile away the hours watching the ships come and go. I used to do that when I was a kid on one of the piers in Halifax Harbour. Now you can't get near the water's edge there in some places.

Louise said...

My eye was caught by the picture of the tree, which was on the blog list of A Little Farm With A Big Heart, so I wandered over to see what was going on. I'm glad I did, because I enjoyed your entry.

I live on Lake Ontario, so my experience with the Great Lakes is somewhat similar. We don't get as much ice on the lake, as, I think, we're deeper. I did see on the weather report this morning that Lake Erie is now almost completely iced over. I also don't see the big ships go by. They stay farther out in the lake, not visible from the shore.

I enjoyed looking through your blog, and, I'll be back.

AJ-OAKS said...

Stew, those pictures are breathtaking! So serene. I am so glad you took some quiet time and then shared with us.
Yes, do be careful with Pugsly when you let him out. So long as you are close to him I wouldn't worry about that hawk coming too close. Yes, nature does takes its course, but Pugsly is not on the menu!
There is a resident hawk that has been hanging around for awhile now eyeing my chickens. I make sure to go out where the chickens are quite often to let Mr. Hawk know that chicken is not what's for dinner!
Glad you found a better internet provider!
Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures!..They kinda make me miss being there :( But then again I like my warm climate too :)
<3..Texas