I'm still on vacation. But I'm always working on making myself better. So, I'm working on cleaning up my language a little. And so, I've made a list of words that have been eliminated from my vocabulary and the reasons why. Especially on this epic adventure that I am on, these are the six words that have been nixed...
1. Should... This word evokes a feeling of shame and guilt. When we use should in reference to the past, it's in effort to change what can not be changed. When used in reference to the future, it brings up hopelessness, tension and despair. Replace should with want. Instead of saying that you should do something, say that you want to do something.
2. Never... How can we possibly know what the future holds for us. We are constantly growing and changing so how can we rule anything out?
3. Try... Either do something or don't. To try to do something, evokes a feeling of failure before you even begin. So don't try it, do it!
4. Can't... The only limitations that are real are the ones that we believe. If you say that you can't do something, then you probably won't.
5. Certain... If you don't doubt your beliefs and question your reality, you're probably going to be wrong about a lot of things. Let your views grow and evolve. Although questioning is usually viewed as being a weakness (especially in religion and politics), it's really a sign of strength.
6. Problem... These are usually just opportunities and lessons in disguise. And the bigger a problem seems, the more we have to learn from it.
Did I miss any disempowering words? What words would you eliminate from your vocabulary?
I'll be back soon. I promise.