Thursday, August 18, 2011

Coffee in the sun

While the Eastern shore of our country is being bombarded with rain for days, it's been beautiful, sunny and warm here on the Eastern shore of Michigan. I had the rare opportunity to sleep at night and thus enjoy a cup of delicious fine imported coffee in the morning. Quite the different experience than my usual 8pm cup. For starters, the sun is on the other side of the house. So when I went with Pugsley out to the patio to enjoy my cup-a-joe, I was in a whole new world.


In a day when all the trees are being taken down and houses built everywhere, we decided a few years ago, to replant as much as our little yard could handle. We left a space in the middle where the sun can shine through. And that is where my new patio furniture is located. Now in the evening, it is shaded by the house. But in the morning, well lets just say that my coffee was not going to go cold any time soon. I really wanted to enjoy my new furniture, so I toughed it out in the sun. Pugsley on the other hand, was having no part of all that noise. He went over and found himself a nice shady spot on the front patio. When I went looking for him, I found out why. I still find it amazing that the dappled shade of a maple tree can create a 10 degree (f) difference.

So, I moved my coffee to a the shaded area and enjoyed the morning with my best friend. It's these times, when you're relaxing, enjoying what God has given you, that sometimes you start to feel guilty. You think of all the things that need to be done and your just sitting there.

What if it was these times, your downtime, your lounging-in-bed-too-long time, your walkabout time, and your blow-Friday-off time that made possible your greatest achievements?

Would they still make you feel guilty? Or would you allow yourself to enjoy them?

 I should know by now that animals always know best. Find yourself a shady spot, sit down with a friend and enjoy. You'll be amazed what you can get done by doing nothing.


3 comments:

John Going Gently said...

I get accused of doing nothing all of the time.........
and I dont give a sh*t!
some of the best ideas and thoughts come when you are lying on your back in the sun!

MorningAJ said...

I'm working on giving myself permission to do nothing once in a while. Glad you enjoyed your coffee.

Unknown said...

@AJ - You have our permission here at the Brighter Side to do nothing as much as you need to.

@John - Just be careful not to burn.