Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Day ten

On this day, I'm to tell you about something that I'm afraid of. And while there are many things that I find creepy like spiders and scorpions and such, I really don't see me as afraid of them. I just don't like them is all. Although snakes would probably be something that would make the list come to think of it. Fortunately, here in Michigan, we don't have many of them and what we do have are pretty non-threatening.

If I were to be honest, and I've been doing that for everything else, I'd have to say that the thing I fear most is failure. Not so much failing myself, but others. I am a man of my word and when I say I'm going to do something, I will do my best to do it. As I've grown wiser to how this world works, I've learned a valuable lesson. I've learned to say "No". Whenever someone ask me to do something, I'd ( in an attempt to please them) always say yes. Well, I just can't do everything. With me working midnights at one job and mornings at the other, I'll occasionally come across an evening thing that just has to be turned down. I think there have been two or three days when I tried to do the 48 hour straight thing. And while I think I'm pretty special, I know that I'm no superhero and I need rest. So sometimes, I just have to say No. In a way, by saying that, I feel that I am failing someone. But if I don't, I'll fail everyone.

I'm learning to face that fear and it feels good. I hope that I am encouraging others to help themselves and not to rely on me for everything. I know that in the end, we'll all be better off and no one will have failed at all.


4 comments:

betty said...

I think that is a good thing to learn, to say "no" and to realize you can't be everywhere at one time nor can you cover everything all the time either. By saying no, it can also open up opportunities for others to help out which can then be rewarding for them to be involved in something. Wise lesson to have learned.

I'm thinking Michigan could be a good place to move. Not that we have an abundance of snakes where I currently live, where I used to live we had lots of warnings at parks and whatnot to be on the watch for rattlesnakes.

enjoy the day,

betty

936000 said...

Well, there's an "all-nighter" of a discussion! So many things to touch on, I'll just say, most sincerely:
Excellent post!

JustinO'Shea said...

Stew, a valiant undertaking. . .I don't find myself rushing to follow your example. . ..an instant reason comes to surface. . .too quickly so I am suspicious. hehe. . .I tell myself "Oh I'd forget to follow up each day. . .I am not that organized. . .and nobody would be interested. . .LOL

So I am learning too!
~~~~ justin

Anonymous said...

Jack wrote: "You can say "NO" to everyone but me! You gotta take care of yourself or you will be no good to anyone. Love ya Stew!"

Oh Jack, I'd never say no to you. - Stew